Facts About Golf
1.Originally golf balls were stuffed with feathers. The tighter packed the feathers, the further the ball would fly. This type of ball was used until 1848.
2. Golf was banned in Scotland from 1457 to 1502 to ensure citizens wouldn't waste time when preparing for the English invasion.
3. Between 1990 and 2003, developers built more than 3,000 new golf courses in the United States, bringing the total to about 16,000.
4. A dimpled golf ball can travel up to four times farther than smooth-surfaced golf balls.
5. The term birdie comes from an American named Ab Smith. While playing in 1899, he played what he descried as a "bird of a shot", which became "birdie" over time.
6. Tiger Woods made his first ace at the age of eight years old
7. When golf was first played professionally there were only 13 rules. Now there are 34.
8. There are currently 2 golf balls sitting on the moon.
9. About 25% of golfers are women.
10. The world's highest golf course is the Tactu Golf Club in Morococha, Peru, which sits 14,335 feet above sea level at its lowest point.
11. The odds of making a hole-in-one are 3,000 to 1 for a tour pro, 5,000 to 1 for a low-handicapper and 12,000 to 1 for an average player. (According to a study by Golf Digest in 2000)
12. The youngest player to score a hole-in-one was Jake Paine in 2001; he was 3 and aced a 65-yard hole in Lake, Forest California.
13. 1947 was the first televised golfing event at the U.S. Open in St. Louis.
14. The most expensive course to play a round of golf at is Shadow Creek in Las Vegas, Nevada with a price tag of $500 per round.
More Sports Facts
The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.
Built in 1893 after levelling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.